Safety & Environment
Be Electrically Prepared
Differing emergency situations may or may not affect your electrical service. A severe electrical disruption however, can take place without notice at any time of the day, night, or the year. Whether it be in the midst of a heat wave or a freezing, cold spell, you should be prepared at any time for any type of emergency.
Power Outages occur in extreme weather conditions for all kinds of reasons; ice accumulation, extreme heat/cold, high winds, salt spray/pole fires, traffic accidents.
To be prepared for possible long term power outages:
- Make sure that your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are operating with fresh batteries or have working battery backups.
- Never use a portable standby generator or a gas barbecue indoors, or near open doors, windows and/or vents.
- Have the chimney in your wood-burning fireplace cleaned and inspected every Fall in preparation for use.
- Know where your electrical panel is and how to turn off the power to all areas in your home in case of an emergency.
- Make sure you have easy access to your flashlights (with fresh batteries) and candles - in case you have to find them in the dark!
- Keep some cash tucked away for gas, groceries and other necessities, in case access to banking machines, Interact, and credit cards services are unavailable.
- Consider having a cell/wireless or corded phone as well - if you only have a cordless phone, you may be left without phone service.
- Keep your fridge and freezer doors closed as much as possible to keep your food inside cold.
- Prepare an Emergency Kit in case you are without power for an extended period and/or you have to evacuate your home.
- Review the Emergency Plan with your family to ensure everyone knows what to do and where to go if for some reason you get separated.
All contents © 2017 Alectra Utilities. All rights reserved.