Upgrading the Fuse Panel
There can be many reasons for deciding to upgrade the electrical service in your home. You may be adding extra living space,
air conditioning, more appliances, a swimming pool or a sauna, or you may decide to replace the existing screw-in fuse type
panel with a circuit breaker type panel.
Our Technical Service Technicians are available to answer questions that you may have regarding this work, and to meet with you
and your electrical contractor on site. Our technicians can be contacted at 905-840-6300, extensions 3278, 3274, 3337. They will
assist you with the details and cost of a new or upgraded electrical service (if applicable). Alternately, you can email your
enquiry to technicalservices@HydroOneBrampton.com.
We offer you the following advice:
- We recommend that you use a licensed electrical contractor to perform this work for you.
- You should get written quotations from at least three electrical contractors before you proceed.
- Modifications to your electrical panel must be inspected by the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA).
An Electrical Inspection Permit must be applied for with the ESA.
- You are required to relocate the Hydro revenue meter to the out-of-doors if it is presently located on the inside of your
We recommend that the following guidelines be used to plan this work:
- The electrical contractor that you hire will coordinate the planned work with both the ESA and Hydro One Brampton.
A service layout may be required.
- As a guideline, please allow a minimum of three working days for us to schedule our work.
- On the date and time that is chosen to perform this work, Hydro One Brampton will disconnect the electrical service to your
- Your electrical contractor will complete their work and have the ESA inspect the work.
- The ESA will contact Hydro One Brampton (assuming that the ESA has approved the work completed), and provide us with a
Connection Authorization. This allows us to reconnect the electrical service to your home.
- Hydro One Brampton will then re-install its' meter and restore electrical service to your home.